Ginger Pear Chai Tea Smoothie
I’ve been craving smoothies lately, but as we get closer to December and the weather gets colder, I’m also wanting more warming meals. So, why not combine the two!
The first time I made this, I did not peel the pear and apparently the blender I was using wasn’t strong enough to give it a smooth texture. So if you don’t have a Viatmix and want a smooth and creamy consistency, I suggest peeling the pear. For this recipe, I used this organic chai tea, but if you enjoy making your chai tea from scratch, by all means do so. Chai spices are a combination of spices including ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Not only a delicious blend of spices, but very anti-inflammatory. Lately, my schedule is extremely hectic however, so whenever I can speed things up – I do so. Instead of making the spice mixture myself, I simply used chai tea.
*Makes 2 servings
1 pear, peeled and chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger
1 cup of chai tea
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ tsp. Vanilla
¼ tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Maple syrup
Optional: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Begin by making the tea.
- While the tea is steeping, prepare your other ingredients.
Wash/peel the pear and cut into cubes. Peel and chop the ginger.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup to a blender and process until smooth.
- Carefully add the warm, steeped tea to the blender and process until well combined. Make sure the tea is not too hot when pouring it into the blender!
- If using this smoothie as a meal replacement, it’s a good idea to add protein. Add 1 scoop of your favourite vanilla protein powder and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!