Grain-Free * Dairy-Free * Gluten-Free * Vegan
Another happy accident that manifested into a delicious recipe! Oh how I love when that happens.
As I was preparing for my Vegan Basics 101 workshop last night, I was in a hurry to make some healthy treats to serve up. I meant to open a can of chickpeas, but instead, I had grabbed some white kidney beans. What oh what to do…
I decided to go ahead and use the kidney beans to make a recipe similar to the chickpea energy balls I made a while back. This time, I replaced sunbutter with sesame seed butter and added a bit of pumpkin spice. Oh my goodness! I thought the chickpea energy balls were delish…but these are so much tastier! White kidney beans on their own have a very mild flavour so the pumpkin spice really stands out!
The really fun part about playing around with recipes is the opportunity to be creative and use interesting ingredients in unusual, but healthy and delicious ways! Some of my crazy concoctions don’t always turn out, but when they do, you get a winner like this one!
1 ½ cups white kidney beans, cooked, rinsed and well-drained
1/2 cup unsweetened sesame seed butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 Tbsp. pumpkin spice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1/2 cup coconut flour (you can also use oat flour or almond flour)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips)
- Place the white kidney beans, sesame seed butter, and maple syrup in a food processor and blend for about a minute on high, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, salt, and flour, and pulse until combined. At this point your dough should look similar to a cookie dough consistency. If it is too dry, add more sesame seed butter. If the dough is too wet, add more flour.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll between your palms to form a ball.
* Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.