Gluten Free – Dairy Free – No Refined Sugar
Warmer weather is finally upon us (here in Ontario Canada at least). I get so excited this time of the year because I can finally start making some of my favourite warmer weather recipes. I don’t know about you, but when the weather is -10, all I want is warming soups and stews, herbal tea and warm pie if I’m having dessert.
It’s kinda funny, I was just having a conversation with my partner the other day about how both our parents used to pack away their seasonal clothing. We’re always running out of space in our closets and it finally dawned on us that it might be a good idea to start packing away any clothing we wouldn’t be wearing for the season. Is it an adult thing? Geez, why did it take me until the age of 42 to realize this was a good idea! #kidatheart is my excuse 🙂
Figuratively, I suppose I do this with my recipes as well. We have such dramatic weather changes here in Canada that my food choices really do change quite a bit with each change of season. Each day as we get closer to summer, I’m getting more and more excited about all my favourite recipes I can start making again!
This past weekend, we celebrated my sister’s birthday. Her favourite pie is key lime and I’ve literally been waiting almost a year to make these for her, since I first came up with the recipe last July!
No Bake Key Lime Energy Balls
Gluten Free – Dairy Free – Vegan – No Refined Sugar
- 2 cups raw unsalted almonds
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1 ½ cups pitted Medjool dates
- Juice of 3 key limes
- Zest of 3 key limes
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Place almonds and cashews into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Add the dates, salt, lime zest and juice and continue blending until the mixture starts to form a ball.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the coconut flakes, mixing well.
4. Roll mixture into balls.
5. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
* Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.