One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is because it’s one I can share with just about anyone because they are made free of most common food allergens. I can bring them to just about any occasion and serve them to those who might be sensitive to dairy, wheat or eggs.
They are perfect for Sunday morning breakfast or brunch, or to make as a party appetizer!
Chickpea Egg-Free Quiche
(Gluten & Dairy Free)
*Makes 9 regular muffin sized quiche or 30 small.
Please read all instructions before beginning this recipe. The method and order the ingredients are mixed together is very important in ensuring the frittatas turn out moist and fluffy with an egg-like texture.
2 ½ cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ Tbsp. ground flax seeds
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup chickpea/garbanzo flour
2 tsp. vegetable bouillon granules
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
Pinch of black pepper
Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Warm coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
2. While the onions and garlic are cooking, combine the dry ingredients (chickpea flour, bouillon, nutritional yeast, cornstarch and spices) in a mixing bowl.
3. Add 2 cups of water to the dry ingredients and whisk well.
4. When the onions have softened, add the water and chickpea flour mixture to the saucepan with the onions.
5. Add the ground flax seeds to the mixture and let sit for 5 minutes so the flax seeds form a binding gel to the mixture.
6. While the mixture is sitting, chop the spinach and red pepper.
7. Add the spinach and red pepper to the mixture, combining well and let sit for another 2 minutes.
8. Scoop the mixture into a well-greased muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before garnishing and serving.
* Garnished with a cashew sour cream, green onions and pea shoots
Cashew Sour Cream
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for 20 minutes
3/4 cup water
Juice from one lemon
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.