Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Homemade Croutons (Dairy-free)
1 head of cauliflower, roasted
1 small onion, roasted
3 cloves of garlic, roasted
4 cups, vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 400 ml can coconut milk
3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground clove
2 tsp. olive oil (for roasting the garlic)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Cut the onion in half. Slice the top of the garlic bulb off and drizzle with olive oil.
3. In a large roasting pan or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the onion cut face down along with the garlic and cauliflower. Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the cauliflower begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
4. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, chop the cauliflower into small pieces and chop the onion. Slip the garlic out of its skin and mash with the back of a fork.
5. Place the vegetables in a large soup pot with the broth and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and carefully add contents to a blender and process until smooth. Return soup to the pot.
8. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk, nutritional yeast and nutmeg to a light boil and whisk well. Add this mixture to the cauliflower soup puree and simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.
9. Top with cashew parmesan and homemade rustic croutons.
Rustic Homemade Croutons
6 pieces of high quality gluten-free bread
2 Tbsp. * Italian seasoning
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
* Italian Seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/8 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. ** cashew parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add the Italian seasoning to a bowl and mix in the coconut oil.
3. Tear bread into ½ inch irregular pieces and add to the bowl with the spices and oil, coat well.
4. Spread evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispness, stirring occasionally.
5. Use right away, or store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Croutons can also be frozen in a lip lock bag. To use, simply put them in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
** Cashew Parmesan
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Add all ingredients to a food processor, and process until crumbly.
Store in a sealed, airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.