* Served with Mary’s Organic Herb Crackers
Did you know that eating asparagus before a night out drinking can help prevent or ease a next-day hangover?
According to study out of Korea, scientists found that extracts taken from the leaves and shoots of asparagus boosted levels of detoxification enzymes that help breakdown alcohol after heavy drinking!
New Years Blitz Asparagus Hummus Dip
1 bunch of asparagus
1 (14 oz.) can chickpea, drained and rinsed well
2 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed butter)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. cumin
Dash of cayenne pepper
Juice from half a lemon
3-5 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
Pinch of paprika
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the asparagus and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Drain well and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Transfer the asparagus to a food processor along with the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup and spices. Add just enough water to allow the mixture to blend up smoothly (approximately 3-4 tablespoons).
5. Process until smooth then transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with paprika, extra chickpeas and asparagus tips if desired.
Serve with your favourite crackers or vegetable sticks!