1 cup uncooked brown rice
1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable stock (for sautéing the onions)
1 sweet potato, chopped and roasted
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 small honey crisp apple, chopped (raw or roasted)
1/2 small purple onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 cup sweet and spicy roasted pecans (roasting the pecans is optional)
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup almond slivers
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
For this recipe, the rice is cooked in half water and half vegetable stock.
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook rice using half vegetable broth and half water. Save about 1/4 cup of broth to sauté the onions.
3. While the rice is cooking, peel and chop the sweet potato into bite sized cubes and add to a bowl. Drizzle with coconut oil and a pinch of salt, then place the cubed sweet potato on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast until tender (12-15 minutes). If you are roasting the apple, add it to the baking sheet with the sweet potato.
4. Chop up the pecans and them to a bowl. Drizzle with the sweet and salty spice mixture below and place on the baking sheet with the sweet potatoes and apples and roast for 12-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are ready to come out of the oven.
5. When the rice is nearly finished, warm 1/4 cup of vegetable stock in a large skillet and sauté onions, garlic, with the cinnamon and cloves over medium heat until onions soften (about 5 minutes).
6. Add the cooked rice to the sautéed onions, and mix in the apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup and simmer for 2 minutes on low/medium heat.
7. Gently add the sweet potatoes, being careful not to mash them as you mix them into the rice.
8. Toss in the apples, pecans, almond slivers and pumpkin seeds.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Pecans
1 cup pecans
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. sea salt
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
1. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl, coating the pecans with the spice mixture.
2. Spread the pecans on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes.
3. When cool, coarsely chop and add to the rice.