• 1 cup carrot, grated
• 1 cup zucchini, grated
• 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
• ¼ cup water
• ¼ cup apple sauce
• ½ cup almond milk
• 1 cup coconut sugar
• ¾ tsp. baking soda
• ¾ tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
• 1½ tsp. cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. ground cloves
• 1 cup coconut flour
• 1 cup almond flour
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds
• ½ cup walnuts, chopped
* This gluten-free recipe uses two different types of flour, which adds to the flavor and texture of the recipe, but it can also be made using 2 cups of all purpose flour.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
1. To begin, grate the zucchini and carrots and strain out all of the excess moisture and pat dry. Any extra moisture will prevent the bread from baking all the way through and will result in a sticky texture.
2. Measure out all the spices into a small bowl or cup and set aside until ready to use.
3. In a another bowl, combine the flax seeds and water to make an egg-like mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Add the apple sauce and almond milk to the flax, blending well.
5. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, mixing well.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
7. When well combined, add the grated zucchini, carrots, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. It will have a thick consistency, like cookie dough.
8. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
9. Allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For this recipe, I chose to add a topping of oats, walnuts, cinnamon and maple syrup. This is optional of course, but it added a bit of pizazz to the flavor and appearance. Who doesn’t like pizazz!
• 1 cup of quick oats
• 5 walnuts
• ½ tsp. cinnamon
• Pinch of cloves
• Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
• 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
In a bowl, combine the oats, spices and maple syrup. Carefully remove the loaf from the oven after about 30 minutes and spread on the topping, gently pressing it onto the loaf. Place the walnuts over the top and return to the oven to finish baking.