The Ultimate Cold/Flu Busting Soup
You will need:
• 1 head of broccoli
• 4 carrots (1 chopped, 3 shredded)
• ½ purple onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 purple potatoes
• 1 L low sodium vegetable broth
• ½ tsp. garlic powder
• ½ tsp. onion powder
• 1 Tbsp. honey mustard (optional)
• Splash of apple cider vinegar
• 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
• ¼ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
• Pinch of black pepper
• Hormone/antibiotic free, free-range skinless boneless chicken breast (optional)
1. In a large pot, warm the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic for about 6 minutes.
2. When the onions begin to soften, add the vegetable stock and bring to boil. For this recipe, I used the entire broccoli, stem and all. Peel and chop the broccoli stem and add to the pot first, while you wash, chop and prepare the rest of the broccoli and carrots.
3. Reduce heat and add the chopped broccoli and one chopped carrot. Gently simmer for roughly 6-8 minutes, or until the stalks begin to soften.
4. While the broccoli is cooking, wash the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes, or until tender. When ready, remove from water and peel while still warm. The skins will slide off easily. Chop and add them to the soup at the end.
*Cooking the potatoes whole will preserve their colour and nutritional value.
5. When the broccoli begins to soften (be careful not to overcook), remove from heat and let it slightly cool before adding to a blender. Pulse a few times in the blender. You want to break up the large pieces, but be careful not to completely liquefy it.
6. Pour the soup back to the pot and add the shredded carrots and chopped potatoes. Gently simmer for another 5 minutes.
If adding chicken:
Fill a small/medium sized pot with water or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and boil until cooked all the way through. Remove from water and let cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite sized pieces and add to the soup at the end.
Cold and flu got you blue? For my best cold and flu recover tips, see this post >> Cold and Flu Recovery Guide