Star Fruit, also known as carambola, is a tropical fruit high in vitamin C, potassium, folate, beta-carotene, quercetin, and loaded with antioxidants! One medium sized star fruit has 35 calories and 4g of sugar making it low on the glycemic index, a good choice for those with diabetes.
It also contains 26 mg of the amino acid lysine—helpful for the prevention of cold sores.
When ripe, the edible waxy skin should be golden yellow in colour with a touch of green, and slightly brown edges.
Fun Star Fruit Facts!
* The juice can be used to remove rust stains from clothing and metal.
* Wood from the carambola tree is used to make furniture.
* In India, the roots are combined with sugar and considered an antidote for poisoning.
* Poultices made from the crushed rushed leaves and shoots were once used to treat chicken-pox and ringworm.
This banana, mango, star fruit smoothie gets a gold star!
- 1 star fruit
- 1 mango
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of vanilla almond milk
Add all ingredients to a blender and process for 30 seconds, or until smooth and enjoy!