For the next 5 days, I decided to share my all-time favourite kale recipes. I’m absolutely krazy about kale and I hope you all enjoy these yummy recipes that I’ve personally tried, tested and tweaked.
You might be asking, but why Chantale, why must I eat kale? Well, aside from it being exceptionally high in iron, loaded with vitamins C, A, K, fiber and manganese, kale also promotes stronger bones, strengthens the immune system, helps to prevent cancer and is an anti-aging superfood! Did I mention it’s also delicious? It’s delicious!!
So without further ado, I introduce kale recipe #1.
Kale Stuffed Roasted Red Peppers
- 3 red bell peppers
- 6 cups of kale, chopped
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves, garlic, minced
- I medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 1 shredded carrot
- ¼ cup of raw pepitas
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
To prepare filling:
1. Precook rice until mostly cooked using 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice (about 25 minutes if using brown rice).
2. Sauté onions and garlic in 1 tbsp of coconut oil for 2 minutes on medium heat in a large skillet. Add rice, kale and an additional ½ cup of water plus remaining ingredients and spices and gently simmer for another 15 minutes(minus the pumpkin seeds)
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving them attached. Remove the seeds. Place cut-side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake until peppers are slightly tender( approx. 10 minutes). Let cool slightly. Turn cut-side up.
4. Add pepitas to the kale and rice mixture and generously fill the peppers.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.