As a Holistic Nutritionist I receive questions regarding cleansing and detoxing on a weekly basis! People are always asking the same two questions.
What is the best detox cleanse?
Is a juice cleanse worth doing?
I’ve worked in health food store settings for years and this is almost always how it goes. A customer comes in looking to do a cleanse and the first thing I ask is: Why do you feel like you need to do a cleanse?
The 3 most common answers I always receive:
1. I’m bloated all the time. I just want to clean out my digestion system.
2. I want to lose a few pounds.
3. I have no energy. I feel like my body needs something but I just don’t know what.
I then follow with a few more questions such as:
- Is this an ongoing problem, or something new?
- Does the bloating seem to be related to a particular food?
- Have you been tested for food intolerances?
- Have you recently changed anything about your diet?
- Have you been on antibiotics or taking any other medication?
- Have you had your iron or B12 checked?And so on.The role of a Holistic Nutritionist is to get to the root of the problem, after all, not just help you mask symptoms.
In the end, none of my questions seems to matter and 99% of the time, the customer walks away buying a “detox-in-a-box” because that is what they came in looking for. Fair enough. Some of these kits actually contain beneficial herbs that help support and cleanse the liver. However, they also contain an herbal laxative component that stimulates the colon. This can give the impression that the bowels are being detoxified because of more frequent bowel movements. The thing about laxatives is that they push waste through the digestive system in an unnatural manner. If the diet is not balanced with the right kind of fiber for healthy and natural elimination, there is often rebound constipation once the cleanse is finished. Many people are overfed but undernourished. We survive on inflammatory, processed foods all year long, then think we can simply push the “reset” button by completing a 10 day detox in a box.
These are my 3 main concerns with over the counter cleanse kits:
1. They lack fiber in whole food form.
2. They do not address diet or nutritional deficiencies
3. They most certainly do not address the underlying cause of fatigue or digestive issues.
After completing these type of cleanse kits, the customer almost ALWAYS comes back complaining about the same health problems. Only this time, they’re usually ready to accept some real advice.
In my online nutrition practice, I coach people in addressing the root cause of digestive and other health issues. This is a time consuming process in which the client fills out my lengthy online intake form and once I look over their information, symptoms and health history, I create a personal wellness plan for them.
Even though I offer personalized, tailored-for-you advice, to be honest – I spend a lot of time repeating the same kind of information to each person. This got me thinking – there has to be a better way to teach people how to take control of their health! The best way to achieve and maintain vibrant health is if we can each learn to be our own holistic health expert. Nobody knows your body as well as you do, after all. You just need the tools to help you understand what is going on inside your body and the knowledge of how to correct it!
This is why I created my first two online eCourses: A Holistic Approach to Digestive Health and the Everyday Detox: An Evidence-based Approach to Detoxification. The best decision I ever made was going back to school to study holistic nutrition and taking control over my own health. You can read that story here. And now I want to pass that knowledge and information on to you!
Learn at your own pace. Be your own holistic health expert. Empower yourself!